The Association Blog is where our members and contributors share insights and best practices from their experience in the animal welfare industry and beyond. On the blog, you can find industry news, educational resources, expert advice, and more.
Blogs can follow a variety of formats, including:
- Tips and advice
- Case studies
- How-to guides
- Lists (e.g. 5 tips, top 10, 3 reasons)
- Photo essays
- Commentary on recent and relevant news or research
Blogs should follow these guidelines:
- Length: Please keep your shorter than 800 words. That being said, the right length for your post depends on the substance, style, and purpose. A “top five” list might be fewer words, while a detailed “how to” guide might be longer than the limit. Our rule of thumb: be succinct and keep in mind that our readers are busy professionals with limited time.
- Audience: Our audience includes the members of The Association, professionals in animal welfare and animal care and control, as well as industry partners and media contacts.
- Types of Content: There are eight current categories to choose from (see below). Examples of topics within these categories could include coaching and mentoring, succession planning, operational issues, community collaborations, trends, and best practices. Content should be related to one of the following categories:
- Administration and Finance
- Fundraising Advocacy
- Animal Management
- Veterinary Care
- Social Media and Marketing
- Attracting and Managing Talented Staff
- Please note: Whenever possible, use real examples and the results that came from them to illustrate your point. We want to hear what your organization is doing and help readers learn from your example.
To contribute, follow these three steps:
- Pitch the idea. Send your idea, along with the general framework you have in mind for your blog, to email@example.com. Your pitch will be reviewed by a action team of The Association and you will receive an email notifying you of our decision.
- Write the blog. Once you receive approval, you’re ready to start writing, keeping the guidelines in mind.
- Return it for final approval. When The Association team receives your blog, they will review it and either approve it or work on refining the details with you. With your final submission, you’ll also need to attach:
- A high-resolution, professional headshot (minimum 400px wide)
- A short bio of 75-100 words
After your blog is written, submit the above to firstname.lastname@example.org for final review by the action team of The Association. You will receive an email notification once your blog is published.
The Association will promote your blog on our social media and email communications, and encourage you to share also to boost readership and get the best return on your investment of time and energy.
Please note: Not every submission we receive will be published. We reserve the right to edit any submission for length or content purposes. We will notify all guest authors of editorial changes to their guest blog posts prior to publication.